Friday 16 January 2015

Undertones?... uuuuhhhh Whaaaat!?

Undertones.... say what? 

I know im doing a lot of 'other' posts before getting to the actual makeup part but trust me once you know all these things the makeup part will be so easy! I wish someone had explained me all these things before so it would have made my life a lot easier.

Before even starting using makeup obviously you have to buy it and when you look at all the options that are available to you, the brands, the different types of foundations, primers, lipstick... OMG! you will go nuts trying to figure out all these things so I'm just here to make that procedure a little easier and mainly to avoid all the mistakes that I did when I started out :( Although there is nothing wrong with making mistakes! That is actually how I learnt and I'm sure you will too! but hey these mistakes can cost a fortune, (yeap... learnt that one the hard way!) specially for you school girls and uni girls out there who don't necessarily have the luxury to spend all that money! Soooo here I am to your rescue :)

Today I just mainly want to talk about undertones! its a bit of a funny topic, I was really annoyed with this one because I went to a few different places and they all said different things to me (considering I have an Indian background so obviously I have a warm undertone, yet some people suggested I had neutral undertone  - I don't know what those people were thinking!)

I did plenty of research about it and watched a lot of YouTube videos to figure out what undertone I have - Sorry! Let me first tell you generally there are three undertones:

  • Warm - yellow/orange tones (generally darker tanned)
  • Neutral - combination of both; and
  • Cool - pinkish tone to your skin (generally pale to light)
There are plenty of ways to figure out your undertone but the there are two ways that I found the best! 
First one is to check the color of your veins (look at your wrist or the temple area just next to your eyes) you should be looking for the color your veins.
If they look blue you are a cool undertone, If they look green or olive then your a warm undertone and if you can't decide then you're probably in the middle and a neutral undertone! ( Best of both worlds!)

The second which I find is really good is using gold or silver jewelry!
Just get two necklace's one gold and one silver - wear them and see what suits your skin! This is not a set in stone rule but I find that darker skin tones generally suit gold (which means you have a warm undertone) and lighter skin tones suit silver ( which means you have a cool undertone and obviously if both suit you then you have a neutral undertone!)
Keep in mind though that just because your a dark skinned girl and you like wearing silver jewelry does not mean your're a cool undertone.

While I was doing my research I came across a lot of articles and blog that tried to make it easy to define your undertone by saying if your from a western country then your a cool tone and Asian skin is a warm undertone - are you stupid? Like seriously! You can't generalize a nationalities skin tone cmon! 
That's like me saying "oh yeah all Indian's have a warm undertone because that's my undertone and I'm from India" - ummm have you been to India? No? Well let me indulge with some basic knowledge.
India is such a huge country and my god you won't believe how the skin tone varies! Have you seen some of the north Indian people? Even I would have to second guess myself to decide if they really are Indian! because they are so white! Pale as a ghost; and as you gradually move down towards south India the skin tone darkens(not everyone! but as majority the skin tone is darker. So you can't just name a country and say "you guys! Yeah you up in Canada all of you are cool undertones and you guy's down there in Africa you're all warm OK?" - I'm sorry but that's just dumb.
Seriously annoy's the hell out of me! ... ok rant over! I swear :D but you get my point right? Every face, every skin tone is different - we are all different and that's what is so amazing about us because it makes each one of us special don't you think?

I've just talked about 2 of the ways to find your undertone but here is a video I came across which really helps and guys do go and check out her YouTube channel too! She has some amazing videos and they are short and to the point, reallllyyy helpful too! 

Have a look at this video and subscribe too! Her videos are A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! 

Alright see you guys soon! Lots of posts coming up, so keep an eye out!

Love 
Danni
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment